Thirty, Flirty, & Thriving
Today I am thirty. That’s right. The big 3.0.
It is only by the grace of God that I’ve made it to this day as a fully functioning adult.
Thank you, Jesus.
In honor of my 30th birthday, I’m sharing thirty hard-fast truths I’ve come to live by in thirty years of life.
In no particular order…
30. Good hair days should always be documented.
29. Honor up. Honor down. Honor all around.
28. If you dream big you will often encounter disappointment. If you dream small you will often encounter mediocrity. Dream big.
27. Just do you boo-boo.
26. Don’t choose a job based on location, job description, or salary. Choose a job based on the kind of leader you want to be. Then follow that kind of leader.
25. As you lead from the front don’t forget about the people in the back waiting to be believed in.
24. The safest place to be is a place where you are truly known. It’s also the riskiest place to be. Being known is worth the risk. Choose to be known.
23. Wisdom is given to those who ask without reproach. Ask for wisdom on the good days. You are going to need it.
22. Always drink the coffee. Unless it’s bad. Then pour it out and make a new pot.
21. When you can’t decide which path to choose, always choose the path with the best story.
20. There is no better feeling than going to bed completely spent after a day of giving yourself away to others. Give yourself away at every opportunity.
19. The Gospel is the greatest story of all time and can be found in any great story we witness, watch, or read today. Especially Harry Potter. Go on and hate if you want but it’s true.
18. It’s ok to not be ok.
17. Guilt and condemnation do not come from God. They come from your enemy and they have to flee in the presence of Jesus. Freedom comes in the presence of Jesus. Live there.
16. The long way around always has better scenery. Take the long way.
15. It really is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
14. Take the random road trips.
13. Your friends will dramatically impact the course of your life. Choose wisely. They will determine if you live an ordinary life or an extraordinary one.
12. When you give your heart away you will get hurt. Give it away anyway.
11. There is no better feeling than doing something that you know you were made to do. Fan into flame the things God has placed in your heart.
10. When in doubt, just shut your mouth.
9. Buy the book.
8. Age brings wisdom but also brings a weight of responsibility. Bear the weight in the unforced rhythms of grace.
7. Be the person that errors on the side of grace instead of the person with a hard and skeptical heart.
6. Don’t take yourself so seriously. You will miss out on so much joy if you do.
5. Hope does not disappoint.
4. Credibility is our most valuable currency as leaders. Be a person with credibility.
3. Relationships are the only thing we take with us to the next life. Always choose relationship over safety, task, and agenda.
2. There is no better way to spend your life than building the church.
1. God is everything He said He would be. Faithful, just, loving, constant, gracious, patient, and kind. Bank on Him.
What about you? Have any hard fast truths you live by? Share them in the comments!
In Reckless Pursuit,